A few days ago I posted 5 tips to help you balance your work with family life – well here’s another 5!
1. Take advantage of leave. Most jobs allow you a certain amount of leave, but a lot of us end up not using it. Make sure you know how much time you have and take it, whether you go on a vacation with your family or just use it to take a well-deserved rest day every so often.
2. Prioritize. When making your to-do lists, figure out the things that are most important for you to do and get them done first. If there isn’t enough time to do everything, you won’t feel as bad about what you have to cut.
3. Take classes. As many people will tell you, there’s no manual on how to be a good parent and have a successful career. But if you search around your community, you can find classes and seminars from people that have been where you are and managed to do well. They can give you inspiration along with helpful tips and tidbits to get through your day.
4. Watch for burn out. Even if you schedule everything, take breaks, and do everything else above, what you’re doing may just be too much for you. Watch yourself for changes in mood or physical problems. They could be a sign that you’re burnt out and need to make some changes to your plans. Remember, your health is important too.
5. Learn to say no. If you want to have a successful career and family life, you will have to learn to say no occasionally. If you try to do everything, you’re going to burn yourself out and not be able to take care of anyone. Being a good employee and a good parent doesn’t mean you need to do everything you’re asked.